Life Skill Center
Independent living skills are paramount for an individual’s success no matter what their living situation. Our agency focuses on teaching these important life skills at our center located in Oakdale, CT. Our home like facility provides a focused learning environment with a life-sized living room, kitchen, and bedroom. The staff at the center create “real life” situations and how best to navigate through them offering our individuals a truly independent living environment experience.
Topics covered include but are not limited to:
- Safety Skills
- Employment Skills: Resume writing, applications, interviews, etc.
- Health and Basic First Aid
- Personal Hygiene
- Community Resources: Internet use, yellow pages, newspaper searches
- Social Skills: Anger management, communication, decision making
- Money Management and Budgeting
- Banking: Depositing & Check Writing
- Comparative Shopping
- Hands on Cooking, Recipe building, Menu Planning & Food safety
- Basic Household Maintenance Tasks
- Transportation Training
- Self Advocacy
- Cultural Awareness
Our Life Skills center allows individuals to learn social skills through group activities and exercises. The combination of individualized programming and group involvement offers a unique opportunity for learning.